Well. June was great. Now July is here. Here is what happened in June.
*whistles innocently as I realize I have no idea how to introduce these posts and it just keeps getting lamer and lamer*
*get your life together, Grace*
This Month’s Devotions
A new section today! In this section, every month I will share what I’ve been reading in the Bible, favorite verses, what God’s been teaching me, etc. to get focused in the right place before moving on to other updates.
For the past while, I’ve been reading straight through the Bible, something I had actually never done before. Recently, I’ve been reading in the gospels; I’m now about ten chapters in on the gospel of Luke. I’m really enjoying reading them straight through, even though the gospels are one of the most familiar parts of the Bible to me already.
“And to love [God] with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all one’s strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” -Mark 12:33
This just struck me because it’s a very rare instance of someone (a scribe) actually understanding and believing the heart of Christ’s teachings, when compared to the Pharisees, who focused so much on the outward ritual.
“And Mary said, ‘Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.'” -Luke 1:38
Mary’s faith and trust in this passage…just wow.
“Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock.” -Luke 6:47-48
I love this description of what a strong faith is like.
This Month’s Bloggings
On the blog this month…
some common modesty questions (and I realize now I forgot to write a concluding post for the series. Sorry. Too late now…otherwise known as I don’t feel like it and ONWARDS to other things.)
thoughts on the horror that happened in Orlando
ideas for a great summer
Other peoples’ posts that I loved…
- Cait’s totally comprehensive guide to translating the language of the bookworm.
- Aaliyah on exploring the art of living and Rachel on simply exploring. Resonated with so much of both of these!
- Super-helpful advice for plotting a book using your antagonist.
- This super awesome thing that’s happening soon!
- A complex contemporary novel with depth?? Get me a copy right now!
- Introversion. All so true.
- This super cute short story!
- I never thought about audiobook narration as a possible career path, but it would actually be really fun…
- 3 Words to Stop the Comparison Thief That Keeps Robbing All Joy, which appeared in my feed this month exactly when I needed it the most.
- Deborah’s amazingly entertaining Beautiful People. Does anyone else think this book needs to be published ASAP?
- And finally, Olivia from Fresh Modesty on what it’s like being engaged…*swoon* It’s no secret how much I love Olivia’s blog and I absolutely could not be more happy for her!
This Month’s Readings + Goodreads!!
- Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott: This was a re-read. Five stars to both all over again. I love Louisa May Alcott.
- The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan: Four stars. I am VERY proud of myself for completing this. Only eleven more to go…
- The Magician’s Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis: Re-reads and five stars, obviously.
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart: Five stars. Just as great as the first one! (Read my review of the first book here.)
- Divergent by Veronica Roth: Three and half-ish stars. I’m struggling to rate this book, because it was really good but yet also had problems. Read my review on Goodreads for a bit more elaboration.
Speaking of Goodreads…I finally joined!! So you should all be my friends 😉 My TBR now has 273 books on it. What? No, I’m not crazy. Why would you think that? *hides*
This Month’s Watchings and Listenings
I need to do a better job of keeping track, but these are the movies I remember watching this month.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: FINALLY. I had never seen this and I needed to so badly. Watching it sparked the aforementioned reread of the Narnia series. It was SO GOOD and followed the book almost exactly, which made my bookworm heart very happy. Five stars. ♥♥♥♥
- Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone: For some reason it sort of underwhelmed me, but I can’t figure out why. It was pretty good, once again true to the book, and for the most part I was happy with how the characters were interpreted (except for Flitwick…let’s just say that was NOT how I imagined him at all.)
I’ve been taking a break from YouTube that will probably last a while. So nothing new to report there.
For music, I’ve been listening to a lot of the same old stuff. Christian, Broadway, Josh Groban. I rediscovered some songs and started liking some of my old stuff again. So that was pretty great.
This Month’s Life Happenings
I’ve been working on my Queen of Hearts novel that I think I mentioned a while ago on here. It’s coming along great! Got all of my prewriting done and I’m about 10,000 words into the first draft. It’s my Camp NaNoWriMo project, so hopefully I can get pretty far along during July!
School ended, and all of the end-of-year performances and parties and auditions and finals happened. I was sick during finals week, but the lesson here is that I survived. I got through it. Yay. And now it’s summer, and I’ve been enjoying the free time and books and things.
And another new section…wherin I tell you of all my bookish goals for the next month. Here’s what I want to read in July:
- the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia
- Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart
- Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- Start working on The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (I do NOT expect to finish it in one month…)
Upcoming Posts in July
- Thoughts on our country
- The first Purposeful Pages link-up!! So excited!
- Works vs. Grace
- Thoughts on turning 16
- Setting priorities and using our time well
- More book reviews; probably a review of Divergent soon
So that’s that! How was your June? What did you read/watch/listen to? What did God teach you this month? What are your plans for July? Which upcoming posts are you most excited for? Tell me in the comments!