This is the worst time of year, I think.
I don’t get out of school for four more whole weeks, and yet it’s eighty degrees outside and the pool just opened! It really feels like summer (and soon it will be June, and then in my mind it WILL be summer)!
Just four more weeks…just four…
This month on the blog…
- My modesty series continued with posts on why we dress modestly, setting modesty standards, and modesty tips and tricks.
- I reviewed The Mysterious Benedict Society, a new favorite book.
- I shared 8 Books Every Christian Teen Should Read.
On other peoples’ blogs…
- Cait shared how to write the perfect novel, types of series finales, and dreadful things that happen if you read too much.
- Why Revision is Just a Matter of Problem Solving, from the NaNoWriMo blog.
- Imogen recorded an absolutely gorgeous cover of “The Sound of Silence” (scroll to the end of the post).
- Emily on why she loves to read.
- Amanda shared a thought-provoking article on the problem with “being yourself”. Never really thought about this!
The Mysterious Benedict Society: Five stars. Read my review here.
A New Name: Three and a half stars. Sweet, light romantic read that I enjoyed. Would recommend for beach/poolside reading!
I also just finished another series that I’ve been working on, which I’m going to share in a separate blog post next week. So be patient and come back then! (or you could just *ahem ahem* look at the preview for June at the end of the post *ahem*)
Hercules: Four stars. I can’t believe I didn’t watch this sooner. Kinda sexist and historically inaccurate, but so fun as long as you don’t analyze it too much!
The Incredibles: A rewatch of a five-star movie that I love!
When Calls the Heart, season 2: Not quite done with the season yet (no spoilers please!) but still loving this show! May do a more complete review at some point.
Freedom Writers: We watched the beginning of this movie in English class; I really need to finish it. About an English teacher who takes on a class of mixed-race, poor kids who have been dealing with gang violence all of their lives. Such a good movie! (There is quite a bit of violence and language, as it deals pretty realistically with its topic material. Definitely not a kid’s movie, but important and powerful nonetheless.)
For YouTube, I’ve been really enjoying the channel FarAwayDistance. Becca makes videos on a variety of things relating to the Christian teen life. She is eloquent and helpful and has such important things to say. Highly recommend her channel!
Probably the best thing I listened to this month was this incredible talk from Ben Stuart at Breakaway. Go listen to it now!!
As for music, I’m in a bit of a slump. I’m tired of everything I’ve been listening to…any recommendations?? Leave them in the comments please!!
Upcoming in June
Some things to look forward to…
- Wrapping up the modesty series on Tuesdays
- Thoughts on the (spoiler alert!) Harry Potter series
- My favorite summer reads
What about you? How was your May? What did you read, watch, and listen to? Any exciting things you’re looking forward to in June? Tell me in the comments below!